By: Eve Lahijani, M.S., R.D. UCLA Residential Life Nutrition Health Educator
Dieting to lose weight is among the most popular resolutions of every new year. Unfortunately however, 95-98% of the people who go on a diet with the intention to lose weight – either don’t lose weight at all – or if they do lose weight, they eventually gain it back, and usually with additional pounds and even more obsessed with food.
Furthermore, despite our past ‘failure’ with diets, many of us return to them year after year to achieve our weight loss goals. Each time the weight is not lost or finally regained we blame ourselves. This frustrating pattern can be repeated indefinitely until we feel hopeless and defective for being unable to simply weigh less!
After all, how hard can it be, right?
The truth is, it is not your fault! Diets don’t work, they actually set you up to fail! That is, dieting itself causes food obsession, cravings and binges – which usually results in weight gain!
Here are some of the reasons diets suck:
· Restrictive mentality: feeling deprived triggers the survival mechanism that backfires in the form of binges.
· Denies enjoyment: feeling guilty for eating can make it difficult to savor meals leaving us unsatisfied at best, causing us to eat even more.
· Encourage disconnect between body & mind: following arbitrary diet rules alienates us from our body’s inherit wisdom. Those who get good at ignoring hunger are also good at ignoring fullness and are more likely to over eat.
· Loss of power: following rules and regulations set by the The Diet is not natural, enjoyable or sustainable. The inner rebel comes out and has you do the exact opposite of ‘the rules’!
· Avoids the issue: for many, eating may be due to stress, boredom, loneliness, excitement, etc – dieting makes food more emotionally charged – so you are more likely to eat emotionally if you restrict food!
**Ugh, it’s all so crazy making!… And solvable 🙂
So this year instead of going on a diet learn how to:
• Make conscious food choices that are supportive and satisfy YOU!
• Enjoy food, tune in to every bite so you can finally feel satiated (and easily stop eating)!
• Reconnect to your body’s wisdom to know exactly when, how much and what to eat!
• Redeem your power and finally be in control of what you eat!
• Face the issues by distinguishing between physical hunger and emotions – and address each of them accordingly!
By mastering the above points weight will naturally adjust to what is right for you! Not to mention all of the other benefits that come along with eating consciously – including, improved wellness, better focus, increased energy, less medications, enhanced enjoyment, etc!!
**Warning: making peace with food may make you happier, activate inner peace and cause spontaneous joy**
See this blog post, and many others, by Eve at: http://www.vitamineve.com/Nutrition_Nibbles